Sunday, September 14, 2014

Waking up, smelling the coffee and thinking ahead

Excuse me if I wax a bit poetic in my post titles. Sometimes I get a bit influenced by Samuel R. Delaney and created titles that sound pretentious and grand. Considering I lag behind him English style, it might sometimes become a bit comical. You'll get those laughs for free.

Since I have woken up this blog, here are my intentions going forward.

I have been thinking a bit about D&D again in the hubbub about the 5th ed. and I have been playing mostly Fate recently, so I will write about those things.

Fate for me is a very strange experience. It's a game that liberates, and at the same traps me in crunch and game mechanics. D&D at the same times feels very much more like a sounding board, a reference, than a living game for me. Maybe 5th ed. will change that. I will at least make an attempt in that direction.

Let's go. First out is a post about my thoughts relating to an old school D&D release.

4 comments:

  1. Well my first T&T campaign had Neveryona overtones. The man is one of my favorite authors of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I never was that taken by Neveryona, but I have liked almost everything else he has done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean Robert MeaneyMay 22, 2015, 11:48:00 AM

    I got the x out of b/x only. Then I picked up basic, expert, companion, master, immortals, rules cyclopedia, some adnd, and then stopped with 3.0 I went back to becmi simply because it was fun and quick. Sure it seemed perpetually locked in. Elves, dwarves, and halflings were their own class, but I looked on the solution to stagnation as a cultural template.
    I applied real world rules to dungeons. The laws of subsidence are mindblowing. The faster you mine and tunnel, the quicker the mine experiences subsidence decay which meant tunneling with disintergrate results in instantaneous collapse as the stress loading shift sends shockwaves up through the strata. Any tunnel passing over another needs to be thicker in the rock between them than the width of the undercutting tunnel or its subsidence threshold is one hundred percent. A terrible ramification for all those clueless dnd dungeons we played in over the years. In situ columns reduce subsidence to ten percent. Any other kind reduce to around twenty five to fourty three percent so collapse due to damage is certain.
    Taking the time to draw monsters for my own creature catalogue was a joy. Creating Maps, and a collection of home made gaming material. It was thirty years of fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, let nobody say roleplaying is not a creative hobby, eh? ;)

      Delete

Copyright 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Andreas Davour. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.