Sunday, March 21, 2010

Collecting games, or playing them?

A few days ago I got a package in the mail. It was my second copy of DragonQuest. Yes, I have bought a second copy of a game I have not yet played!

This even got me thinking. You could imagine that if you were playing some games fairly frequently, you would like to have another copy for the collection. Sadly, that's not the case. These are the games I have multiple copies of.
  • AD&D1 PHB
  • Menzter Basic D&D
  • B/X D&D
  • Rolemaster 2nd ed. Character Law/Campaign Law
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • DragonQuest 2nd ed.
So how many of these games have I played?

Well, one session of AD&D, two or three of B/X D&D. Yes. That's it.

There are some games which I have played and for which I have multiple copies. Oddly enough they are all just different editions. Looking at that list you find games like Stormbringer, Fading Suns, Call of Cthulhu, Mage: The Ascension, Tunnels & Trolls and Traveller.

From that list I have played FS once, CoC multiple times, Mage a few sessions and T&T I've played a lot and still do. Stormbringer even used to be my main frpg. But, the games I have multiple copies of the same book are games I would like to play, but haven't. This realization made me sad.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I have games in my collection, I have never played, but owning multiple copies is something new. Ofcourse some games could be handy if you own a couple of copies for GM and players and for me I'd like to have a new copy of V:tM (this one is used so much it's starting to fall apart). But today, I just learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay if you have games in your rpg collection that you have never played. Just so long as you are playing at least one of them.

    I'm not sure why I would want more than one copy of a game I am not playing, unless I was anticipating playing that game soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can tell this is some weird situation for me, eh? I'm not sure why I would want more than one copy of a game I am not playing either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andreas Davour--A gamer obsessed with collecting, talking about and playing of roleplaying games.

    There's your answer. But it is okay with me, I am not here to judge you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of a collector myself, so I'm in your boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. That is an answer I guess. Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a game in your collection that you haven’t played doesn’t mean that you don’t use it. Have these games inspired anything you did in another game? If not, take them off the shelf and put them to work in that fashion.

    I only have multiple copies of games I play, but it has been tempting to get multiple copies of some of the others. Because those are games that nobody else in my group is likely to have a copy of. So, it might make actually playing them more likely.

    And, yeah, collecting is OK too. There’s a saying among guitar players: “How many guitars does one man need? Just one more!”

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Just one more!"

    That was a good one! :D

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Andreas Davour. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.